TVDL – Temporary Visitor Driver’s License
What is TVDL?
TVDL is a temporary visitor driver’s license that is issued by the Secretary of State to those who have been granted temporary, legal entry into the United States, are temporarily residing in Illinois, and are ineligible for a Social Security number.
Per Jesse White Secretary of State, to be eligible for a TVDL, a temporary visitor must:
- Be a non-citizen of the United States residing in the State of Illinois;
- Be authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be present in this country, and provide documentation verifying such authorization;
- Not be required to obtain a driver’s license issued by the U.S. Department of State, Office of Foreign Missions;
- Be authorized to be in the country for at least one year and have at least six months remaining on an authorized stay;
- Provide acceptable documentation that proves name, date of birth, Illinois residency and verification of written signature;
- Effective July 1, 2014 or after, a person age 18-20 must present proof of successful completion of a 6-hour adult driver education and training course.
- Pay the appropriate fee and successfully complete a vision screening and the appropriate written and road tests.
- A TVDL will be issued only in a Class D, L, M, DL or DM, authorizing operation of a personal car, motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. A TVDL is valid for three years or for the period of time the individual is authorized to stay in this country, whichever ends sooner.
- Individuals eligible for a TVDL may obtain an instruction permit allowing them to practice driving before taking their road exam. To obtain an instruction permit, the applicant must visit one of the designated Secretary of State facilities (Bloomington, Carbondale, Champaign, Chicago North, Chicago West, Macomb, Rockford, Springfield (Dirksen Parkway)) and meet the requirements for obtaining a license for the first time.
We accept all types of licenses. Call us at 773-202-5060 or stop in to one of our conveniently located offices.