Safety Tips for Highway Driving
Driving on the highway can be dangerous when drivers behave improperly or when dangerous road hazards create accident risks, especially when the weather changes. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 37,000 people were killed in highway accidents in 2008. Practicing safe highway driving during each trip on the road can help to make good driving practices a habit and may help to reduce your risk of a highway accident.
Driving Safety Tips
Because vehicles travel at such high speeds on the highway, collisions can be especially severe. The following safety tips can help to keep you and your family safe when you travel on the highway:
- Maintain a safe following distance. Follow the “3 second rule”, which states that you should keep 3 seconds of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. You can time this by finding a fixed object on the side of the road and measuring the amount of time between when the car in front of you passes the object and when you pass the object.
- Look ahead. Always keep your eyes on the road ahead of you so that you can see upcoming changes in speed or obstacles before you reach them. This gives you ample time to react to changing highway conditions.
- Follow the speed limit. Driving faster than the rest of traffic can increase your chance of an accident because you could startle other drivers, or you may take longer to slow down in an emergency than a car traveling at the posted speed.
- Check your blind spots. Before changing lanes, always look for cars that may be hidden in your blind spot. This is easily done by simply turning your head for a one-second head check.
- Use your signals. Always signal before making any change in direction so that other drivers are aware of what you plan to do. Increasing your predictability is critical to minimizing your risk of a collision.
Even the most careful drivers sometimes find themselves involved in a serious accident. If you are involved in a highway collision, it is important to have the appropriate car insurance that you need to protect yourself from liability and to ensure that your injuries and damages are covered.
The friendly Chicago car insurance experts of Insure on the Spot can help you find the auto insurance coverage that you need to ensure that your family and your vehicle are protected in case of an accident. To learn more about your car insurance options, contact us today at 1-888-972-SAVE.