Preventing the Theft of your Vehicle
No matter if you drive an expensive, flashy car or a more basic, budget vehicle, your car is at risk for theft. All car owners should be aware of precautions to take to ensure that your vehicle is not stolen, damaged, or broken in to.
- Consider choosing a car that has an anti-theft device. If you vehicle does not have an alarm system, consider purchasing one. New alarm systems are advantageous because thieves are less experienced at disabling them
- Older model vehicles are not necessarily safe from theft. Many mid-range, basic cars are actually at increased risk for theft because they do not stand out and are therefore difficult to trace. In addition, some thieves target older cars in order to steal their parts, which can be sold separately to parts dealers.
- Do not leave valuable belongings in your car. If you must leave something of worth inside your vehicle, store it in the trunk or hide it under a seat or blanket. Never leave objects that may look valuable exposed, such as empty packages or jewelry, as these items might make your care more of a target for thieves.
- Do not leave your keys in your vehicle. Thieves know the common hiding places for keys, including underneath floor mats, in sun visors, and in the glove compartment. Keep your vehicle safe and never leave your keys in your car.
- Keep your vehicle locked, even in you are in a “safe” area or just running inside for a minute. Park in well-lit areas, near the entrance of the building.
Protecting your car can save you many in many ways. Many insurance companies offer discounts for cars with anti-theft protections, or car models that are statistically less likely to be stolen. Our Chicago auto insurance agents can help you find a policy that matches your current needs.
If you live in a high theft area, it is important to choose car insurance plan that protects your vehicle in the event of theft or a break-in. To learn more about your car insurance options in the Chicago area, contact the Chicago car insurance agents of Insure on the Spot at 773-202-5060.