Neighborhoods seem like safe places to drive, but they can actually be full of potential accidents between vehicles and vulnerable road users. Drivers should always use caution when driving through neighborhoods and stay attentive of their surroundings at all times. When drivers become complacent or distracted, they may be caught off guard and cause a potentially costly accident. Knowing the potential hazards to look for can help to keep you and others in your neighborhood safe.
Hazards to Watch For
When driving through a neighborhood, remember to drive slowly first and foremost. The number one killer of children ages 4 to 14 in the United States are car accidents, according to the NHTSA. Keep in mind that others may be using the road, sometimes unpredictably. Common hazards that you should watch for in neighborhoods include:
- Children playing in the street. There may be kids playing a game in the street, or a child may run into the street while chasing after a ball.
- Pedestrians crossing. Many residents take walks with family or pets around the neighborhood and may cross at a corner or in the middle of a street. People on skates or skateboards may be using the street as well.
- Parked cars. This may seem like an easy problem to avoid, but sometimes drivers fail to notice parked cars or may not see a person exiting a parked car. Children or others may also dart out between parked cars and into the street without warning.
- Bicycles, scooters, and motorcycles. These vulnerable road users have as much right to use the road as do automobiles. Watch for these smaller two-wheeled vehicles, especially at night when visibility is low.
- Blind corners. Trees, bushes, light poles, parked cars, and other obstructions sometimes create a blind corner in a neighborhood. Always approach these areas with caution and slow speed until you can see that the way is clear.
One moment of inattention or recklessness in a neighborhood can lead to a costly accident. Respect traffic laws and street signs at all times and always be on the lookout for others using or crossing the road. If you have an accident, it is important to have the appropriate insurance coverage beforehand so that you are financially protected.
For sound advice and assistance regarding the many types of insurance coverage available and to find one that meets your family’s needs, please contact the helpful Chicago auto insurance agents of Insure on the Spot today at 773-202-5060.