What Is An Auto Declaration Page?
Let’s face it. An auto insurance policy is often very lengthy and includes terms that we rarely use in our daily lives. When it comes to understanding the most important facts about the coverages that protect us while we drive, the declaration page is a fantastic place to start. The declaration page (or dec page) is a standardized summary of the coverages that are included in your auto insurance policy. Here are some of the key pieces of information that every dec page contains.
- Named Insureds – These are the drivers that are covered under the policy.
- Policy Number – Every insurance contract has an identification number issued to it when a policy goes into effect.
- Term – The date your coverage went into effect and its expiration date is shown here.
- Car Information – The year, make and model of every insured car will be listed in this section.
- Type of Coverage & Limits – The policy summary on the declaration page is a great way to keep track of the lines of coverage that you purchased, as well as the dollar limits within each category. In addition, the declaration page will tell you the maximum amount of coverage available for a single accident.
How Can The Auto Dec Page Help You?
There are a number of ways in which the auto dec page can come in very handy, including:
- Checking For Accuracy – When your policy is issued, be sure to check the dec page to ensure that the coverages and dollar limits that you purchased are accurately stated.
- Proof Of Insurance – Even though you will be sent an ID card that should be kept in the glove box, having a copy of your dec page with you as well can provide additional coverage information in case it is ever needed.
- Shopping For Insurance – Getting the best deal we can on our auto insurance is important. The dec page is a great tool to use when trying to compare your current coverages to a competitor’s quote. Whenever shopping for car insurance, make sure the policy limits in a prospective quote matches your current coverage. As they say, an “apples to apples” comparison is the best way to determine whether switching to another auto insurance company will save you some money.
Knowing the details of the auto insurance you purchased is vital to being a responsible motorist. The declaration page is a good way to keep track of your coverages and should be reviewed each year to determine if your needs have changed.
For more information about Auto Insurance in Chicago, call Insure on the Spot today! Free Auto Insurance Quotes in just 2 minutes.